Author Topic: Lots of failures running setup on CentOS 4.8  (Read 27775 times)

Ken Arck

Lots of failures running setup on CentOS 4.8
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:38:49 PM »
I'm trying to install 2.0b0 from the tarball on a new CentOS based machine. This particular computer is NOT a complete distro installation but it does have most major packages including full Perl and the latest development packages

I've attached a log of the session in the hopes someone can point me where to look so I can do an install!

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of failures running setup on CentOS 4.8
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »
Setup will build ScriptBasic from scratch. It means you must have all the dependencies installed and understand how the build process works.

If you need a CentOS runtime version for 64 bit, you can get it HERE.

The server that this site is running on has a 32 bit version of CentOS I could make a runtime for you if needed.

What is your long term goal using ScriptBasic?

BTW: The current version of ScriptBasic is 2.1. The 2.00b version is pre-2005 vintage and for reference only.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:55:37 PM by support »

Ken Arck

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
Setup will build ScriptBasic from scratch. It means you must have all the dependencies installed and understand how the build process works.

If you need a CentOS runtime version for 64 bit, you can get it HERE.

The server that this site is running on has a 32 bit version of CentOS I could make a runtime for you if needed.

What is your long term goal using ScriptBasic?

BTW: The current version of ScriptBasic is 2.1. The 2.00b version is pre-2005 vintage and for reference only.

Sure! That would be greatly appreciated! My ultimate goal is to compile the finished file into a stand alone binary

By the way, I got the tarball at the Scriptbasic website and that was the only version offered. Otherwise, I would have gone with the latest and greatest

Ken Arck

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »
Update: I found V2.1, already compiled, here:

http://www.allbasic.info/forum/index.php?topic=96.0

It seems to work except for one thing.

Making a c file seems ok"

[repeater@rush updater]$ scriba -nCo updater.c updater.bas
[repeater@rush updater]$

But when I try to compile that:

[repeater@rush updater]$ gcc -o updater updater.c -lm -ldl -lpthread -lscriba
updater.c:475:27: warning: no newline at end of file
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lscriba
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
[repeater@rush updater]$

no problem, I add a CR/LF to the end of udpater.c and try again. But now this error happens:

[repeater@rush updater]$ gcc -o updater updater.c -lm -ldl -lpthread -lscriba
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lscriba
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
[repeater@rush updater]$

Something still isn't right it seem... with "ld"?

Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
Make sure you copy the libscriba.a and libscriba.so to your /usr/lib directory. That is were -lscriba is pointing to. This is your runtime library for your C wrapped script.

warning: no newline at end of file

This is only a compiler warning and doesn't need to be fixed to compile the program.

Advice

If your only creating one standalone SB executable script, it's faster to use the following method. (no compiling needed)

/usr/bin/scriba -Eo updater updater.sb

This appends the compiled (PCODE) to the end of scriba giving it the name your chose. Scriba always checks first if there is a script attached before processing any command line options.

The -C option is a better choice if you have a bunch of scripts that make up your application and using a common runtime shared object makes more sense. Scripts compiled to C normally have 12K of interface overhead and the rest is C wrapped PCODE. This option also allows you to link static to external libraries rather then having to distribute shared objects.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:16:40 PM by support »